[SCUUG Members] Would like your input

S Gay Yarnell gyarnell at cityoflewisville.com
Wed Sep 23 10:16:21 EDT 2015

I will be posting an email below which I received from a patron.  I am
wondering how other libraries handle this type of situation?? What do you
do when patrons absolutely, positively "know" they have returned an item?
How do you treat all patrons fairly and consistently if you take something
off an account because the patron really pushed back?  Yes, I can mark this
as Missing but my staff feel strongly that this patron did not return the
DVD.  I appreciate your input.

email I sent patron:
re : account for xxxx
      DVD, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

Ms. xxx, your account was referred to me by the Accounts staff.  Apparently
the DVD noted above was returned on 8/17/15.  We left a voice mail that day
letting you know that the DVD was not in the case.

On 8/20/15 we sent you an email requesting the DVD as we had not heard back
from you.

On 8/21/15, the next day, you brought in a disc, however, that one turned
out to be your personal copy of the DVD.  We returned that DVD to you and
you were going to continue looking for the DVD.

On 8/26/15 we sent another email requesting return of the missing DVD.

On 9/12/15 you called and said you had returned the missing DVD to the
desk.  We have no record of having received the DVD at the desk.  I
personally reviewed all 5 copies the library has to ensure that your
missing DVD had not been placed in the wrong case.  All of our DVDs matched.

I have renewed the DVD for another week to give you time to continue your
search for it.  It is now due 9/29/15.

If you are unable to locate the DVD, our replacement cost is $30.99 plus a
$5.00 processing fee.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

patron reply:
O.k. I personally handed that disk to a young lady at the front desk. My
son, and my boyfriend can vouch for me, and say that I physically went into
the library and returned the CORRECT disk. I have in the past paid for
lost, or late items. In this, I am not at fault. If it is not there, then
someone at the library must have misplaced it. I am not responsible for the
mishandling of any items once they have been returned. And as I told the
last person I spoke with over the phone, I do NOT live in Lewisville
anymore. You can stop harassing me and renewing this disk. I am not at
fault, so you can expect to receive zero dollars in payment.

--
         * "The only thing that you absolutely have to know is the location
of the library."*

*Gay Yarnell
  Accounts Supervisor
 972-219-3578 | gyarnell at cityoflewisville.com
<gyarnell at cityoflewisville.com>*

*Lewisville Public Library1197 W Main St, Lewisville, TX
75067972-219-3570 | library.cityoflewisville.com
<http://library.cityoflewisville.com/>*

--
DISCLAIMER: http://www.cityoflewisville.com/index.aspx?page=905